05 January 2017

There is a world out there after all

My brother calls on his way to work and explains to me all he knows about the slow healing of deep gashes and cuts and tendon surgery and all the sport injuries he has survived and he makes me feel so much better. There are two deep wounds on my lower spine and I am slowly convincing myself that they will indeed heal. But I am a wimp when it comes to pain. That much we know.

John Berger has died. I don't know how to insert a link to his bio but do look him up. Read his quotes on women as art objects.  Watch "Ways of seeing" on youtube, esp. episode two. Or read his 2015 lecture on hospitality as a human right.
It's all out there to lift us up and open our eyes. He was an inspiration, he still is.

"The poverty of our century is unlike that of any other. It is not, as poverty was before, the result of natural scarcity, but of a set of priorities imposed upon the rest of the world by the rich. Consequently, the modern poor are not pitied...but written off as trash. The twentieth-century consumer economy has produced the first culture for which a beggar is a reminder of nothing."

John Berger

4 comments:

am said...

Sending loving healing energy to you. Thank you for drawing our attention to John Berger. I started watching that series on YouTube just now. Wonderful to see him as a younger man (45 looks so young to me know) and at 90. Grateful that he lived, and that I know of him today. My spirits are lifted.

molly said...

Bless your brother for his encouragement and support. You're no wimp, not by the sound of what I read here.
Will look up John Berger. He puts it so well in your quote I want to read more. I hope you are comfortable at least.

liv said...

They will indeed heal and much fast now that you have some good information from your brother, bless him.
Berger is a saint if there ever was one.

Colette said...

You are healing as I write this. Thanks for the John Berger quote. Will google him and treasure that quote.